- Tabloid Newspaper
- Printed on Newsprint Paper
- 7 450 Copies Distributed Weekly Monday
- 15 300 Copies Distributed Weekly Friday
- Frequency: Weekly Monday & Friday
- Target Audience: Local Community
- Area of Distribution: Amatikhulu, Darnall, Empangeni, Enseleni, Epondweni, Eshowe, Esikawini, Felixton, Ginginglovu, Hluhluwe, Ingwavuma, Jozini, Kosi Bay, Kwadlangezwa, Kwambonambi, Kwamsane, Louwsburg, Mandeni, Mbazwana, Melmoth, Mkuze, Mtubatuba, Mtunzini, Ndumu, Ngwelezane, Nkwalini, Nongoma, Nyoni, Phelendaba, Pongola, Richards Bay, Sodwana, St Lucia, Stanger, Ulundi
Africa runs deep in the veins of the Zululand Observer, and few (if any) community newspapers in our country are more proudly South African. As the publication was “born and bred” in Zululand, it is firmly committed to the ideals of a non-racial South Africa; further, the newspaper continually strives to contribute all it can to the continent where the human story first began.
Established in 1969 by Regina Anthony, the Zululand Observer started life as an unassuming community newspaper; humble beginnings, however, did not stop its fast rise in stature and reputation, and today the publication is the largest community newspaper in its area of distribution (from the Tugela River to Pongola; and inland, from Ulundi to eShowe, Melmoth, Nongoma and Hlabisa). The same spirit that transformed the title from a newspaper only distributed in Empangeni to one distributed throughout Zululand, ensures that the Zululand Observer will continue to bring its loyal readership only the best in community and local news, local sports results and fixtures, municipal and crime news, lifestyle features, entertainment news and more.
The eight notable titles falling within the larger stable include: the Zululand Observer Weekend Edition, Zululand Observer Monday Edition, Baywatch Eyethu, Zululand Eyethu, Northern Eyethu, Eastern Watch, and Agri Eco.
In keeping with its commitment to helping in the efforts to build an inclusive South Africa, the Zululand Observer is happy to have achieved a B-BBEEE Contributor Level 3 certification.