- Tabloid Newspaper
- Printed on Newsprint Paper
- 19 700 Copies Distributed Weekly
- Frequency: Weekly Friday
- Target Audience: Local Community
- Area of Distribution: Anzac, Brakpan, Brakpan Central, Brakpan North, Brenthurst, Dalpark, Dalpark ext 1, Dalview, Larrendale, Leachville ext 1, Minnebron, Sonneveld, Sunair Park
The ever-popular Brakpan Herald has been synonymous with premier quality community news since its founding way back in 1927. Along with its sister publications falling within the Amalgamated Press stable, including the Benoni City Times, the Germiston City Times and the Boksburg Advertiser, the Brakpan Herald was brought under Caxton-CTP’s ownership in the early 1980s. Over its long history the publication has seen numerous world-changing events both within South Africa and on the expansive international stage. Sticking to its roots, and the original intent of the newspaper, the Brakpan Herald specialises in bringing residents the very best reporting on local and community news, schools news, church and charity news, municipal and crime news, and entertainment and lifestyle news. This focus on the everyday lives of Brakpan’s many residents has earned the newspaper a large and loyal following.
Moreover, the Brakpan Herald sees itself as more than a media provider; instead, it is happy to have a reputation for being a trusted and respected member of the communities it serves. A total of 19 700 copies are distributed free-of-charge to households and businesses every Friday.
In keeping with the times, the newspaper has firmly established itself on the World Wide Web, and in addition to an impressive website that is continually updated with breaking stories, the Brakpan Herald enjoys a large following on social media platforms.
The Brakpan Herald’s sphere of influence, however, extends beyond the confines of interesting and relevant local news; the paper’s high quality advertising sheets form a core function in keeping readers completely up to date with the latest retail and service offerings available in the area.
This means that household decision makers can create shopping lists that ensure great value for money. For advertisers, the newspaper is an effective marketing channel that reaches an economically active audience that shops in Brakpan.
Statistics about the Brakpan Herald (2013):
- Herald readers do most of their shopping at the Mall@Carnival
- 56% are female; 44% are male
- 56% are Afrikaans; 26% are English
- 56% are employed full time
- 27% of households fall in the LSM 10 category, and 37% the LSM 9 category
- The average household income is between R12 000 and R24 999